[vsnet-id 13] Re: On RX Mon ID

Re: On RX Mon ID

Georg Comello wrote:

> I checked the position of RX Mon on both O- and E-type POSS-charts. In my
> opinion there can be no doubt of the position of RX Mon. On these charts there
> is a brighter star of m=9-10 (?) at 60" NE of RX. That star is brighter than
> RX on the E-type POSS-chart, this suggests that it is a reddish star also.
> The Millennium Star Atlas shows both stars. It strengths my opinion that the
> Japanese observers have estimated the wrong star, and did not see RX Mon=
> #Hipparcos 36394 at all. I think that there is no reason for any confusion-
> problems. Also the AAVSO e-chart gives both stars in the right situation.

   I rather think this brighter, redder object is indeed RX Mon.

= this bright star
USNO0825.04991802 072921.329 -041643.88 (2000.0)  8.8 11.8

  very well agrees with the Hipparcos position.

072921.3 -041643 (2000.0) 1234HV3 1.50 HIP036394 P 9.01-13.22

  I presume the Millennium Star Atlas shows the originally cataloged
(slightly offset?) RX Mon, but not this identification.

  My notion is also based on Kanatsu's bright observation on Dec. 25.
His observation was a photographic one, and he usually reports variable
stars which brighten as compared to other films.  This observations seems
to indicate the variable was bright around 1997 December, which contradict
with other faint estimates.

  I couldn't see any other candidate star within a few arcmin on the DSS
image.