[vsnet-chat 5960] (fwd) Re: [vsnet-campaign-ccd-discussion 26] (fwd) Re: [AAVSO-DIS] CCD-V Vs visual observations = U ORIONIS

Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 08:25:14 +0100
From: Maciej Reszelski <macres@pro.onet.pl>

Taichi Kato wrote:

> (fwd) Re: [AAVSO-DIS] CCD-V Vs visual observations = U ORIONIS
>

>    I have just visited the page and I have some questions. I have a Nikon
> Coolpix 4500 and I would like to know if I can use it to estimate some VS
> magnitudes. Using it with the telescope I can see fainter objects than using
> only my eyes. But I am not sure if this kind of camera is reliable to
> VSOing; I am not sure about how to report the magnitudes (C:  unspecified
> unfiltered CCD?) and if I can use GSC and Tycho-2 magnitudes as references.
>    Thank you.
>
>    Regards,
>    Raquel Shida

Dear Raquel,

Well, It depends also what is the main detector of your Nikon. Is it
a digital camera with CCD chip (as some Internet cameras?) I don't
know about Nikon too much.
The good idea is make some tests and compare them with knowing
estimates.
I recommended Tycho-2. GSC is not photometric catalog.
Some my friends make a good photometry using cameras such as
Vesta SC765 etc etc but you must make some much more work
(corrections etc)

best regards,
Maciej