[vsnet-chat 4365] Re: TMZ etc... orthography

Re: [vsnet-chat 4363] TMZ etc... orthography

> I am working under DOS and DOS accept only eight marks. That's why I
> prefer the notation ANDV0374 or NSV00895, also TMW0085. A specific problem
> (for me) are spelling of files for peculiar names as UMAXTEJ1118+240 or
> UMAMARKARIAN421 : I create a file PECSTARS with lines PEC1, PEC2, and so on :
> PEC1 : AND - suspected star by Cifuentes
> PECx : UMA XTEJ....

    Please don't rely on DOS limitations.  There is no way to distinguish
U Her and u Her, mu Cen and MU Cen, and similar other instances.  If you
ever want to record hypothetical variable stars like PRN, CLOCK, CON etc,
you might see what is totally unexpected ;-).

    And the names like XTE J1118+480 or Markarian 421 (Mkn 421, Mark 421,
MKN 421 etc.) are meaningful in themselves, and there is no reason to
add constellation codes to further lengthen names.