[vsnet-chat 4364] Re: Orthography of V-numbered variable stars?

Re: Orthography of V-numbered variable stars?

>Incidentally, I see that the GCVS uses three formats :
>V999 Sgr  in volumes 1-3; (no space)
>V 999 Sgr in vol. 4            (with space)
>V0999 ---  in vol. 5 & most recent namelist

   I'm not sure about which namelist you are referring to, but the 75th
namelist uses the consistently first format (V999 Sgr).  I believe this
is the nominal standard of the GCVS.  The others are simply from computational
limitations.  [One may remember the first computerized version of the
GCVS only used upper case roman letters, because Russian letters were
allocated instead of lower case roman letters].