[vsnet-chat 6515] Re: flares in Mira stars

Re: flares in Mira stars

> ASAS-3 is fine work, but it still only samples (at best) once per day.  How
> will this definitively answer the question of flaring in Miras?  If the flares
> lasted days, they would already be known phenomena; if they last only a few
> hours, sampling </=1x/day won't help -- much.

   Speaking of ASAS-3 data, the large number of recorded objects and
the availablity of the recorded images are the most important factors.
Even if the phenomenon may be short, a large number of objects can provide
useful statistics, if they randomly occur in different stars.  If one
would beat ASAS-3, one would have to record a selected set (not sparse
coverage of a large ensemble stars) of stars with dense coverage.
But I would advise to do this after we have to some degree confident
from the ASAS-3 or other survey data that these phenomena occur at a
meaningful rate.  It would be interesting to speculate that such
short-lived phenomena, if any, should emit bluer light (if the emission
is thermal origin *1), which should have been detected by satellite UV
monitor (just as ALEXIS did).

  (*1) The reason is simple.  Consider the size of a Mira star and
devide it by the speed of light.  And consider your preferred time
scale of the event, and deduce the condition in which the "flare"
can dominate in the visual light against the Mira photosphere near
its maximum light.