[vsnet-chat 6483] (fwd) flaring in Miras

(fwd) flaring in Miras

   Forwarded message from John Greaves:

Taichi Kato asked :

>     I presume that Richard Huziak referred to the classical paper by
> Schaefer, who studied past records of short-lived phenomena in Mira
> stars and other objects.  I vaguely remember these was a theoterical
> paper that such phenomenon is possible, but I'm not sure.
>
>     We can now study thousands of Mira stars with ASAS-3 public data.
> They are CCD-based, and we can directly see archival images (at least
> for the older data).  Would someone try to make a better statistic for
> the claimed presence of short-lived phenomena in Mira stars?

I forget to include you in a cc.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-
bib_query?bibcode=1997hipp.conf..387L&db_key=AST&high=3ed66a6d4814532

(all one line) should lead you to an Hipparcos Venice Symposium
(1997) paper on this (you'll get a PDF file if it works).

Although relying on Hipparcos Epoch Photometry to show such a thing
is a bit scary, and the use of visual data a bit problematic, that
paper does also contain references to what are claimed to be strong
earlier evidence/indications of the phenomenon in other papers.

I seem to remember a paper on Mira itself being strongly referred to
as proof of the phenomenon using long term instrumental observations,
though I don't think I ever got around to checking up on it (probably
not available via the ADS).

Certainly something like asas3 is going to help one day with figuring
out how many little 'blips' in visual lightcurves are real.  Isolated
positive detections amongst a slew of negative ones are always a bit
of a worry, but the number of occasional brighter than usual points
from steady observers outways any strange fainter than points that
may crop up, though equally I think that is possibly more feasible
due to the physiological nature of the eye.

Anyway, although I cannot remember the url, I do remember Vello
Tabur's home page carries a single example for R Cen, where he states
that he kept a bright outlier observation produced by his survey
system as he found independent confirmation of the event in visual
archives, noting that normally such a visual observation would be
discounted as a 'glitch'!

Cheers

John

John Greaves

PS the freeisp address is now effectively dead, drowned in a sea of
spam, but unfortunately despite it no longer being used I can't get
them to disconnect it so it still accepts incoming mail, which will
never be read.

Return to Home Page

Return to the Powerful Daisaku