[vsnet-chat 1313] UV visibility (Re: V3885 Sgr, thisseason)

Re:

>>> Taichi Kato <tkato@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp> 09/16 10:33 AM >>>
Re: UV visibility (Re: [vsnet-chat 1284] Re: V3885 Sgr, this season)

Once in my career in physics experiment
course, I could visually measure a number of violet lines through a
visual
spectrometer, but don't remember their exact wavelengths.

//
Dear Taichi,

I bet you were looking at Hg lines around 404.7, 407.8 and 435.8 nm.
They are violet to violet/blue and supposed to be visible.
I use them a lot to calibrate wavelength functions for
monochromators..

I did some superficial testing yesterday and discovered that quite a
number of materials fluoresce under UV -A light, not just paper.. and
perhaps that's why UV seemed visible at the time.
It's not straightforward to cut out a narrow bandpass with
interference filters only because of the 'long' tails they have. With
my powerful UV source I might add a monochromator to do that. Later
more on that, hopefully...

Regards,

Berto