[vsnet-chat 1314] Re: UV visibility (Re: V3885 Sgr, this season)

Re: UV visibility (Re: [vsnet-chat 1284] Re: V3885 Sgr, this season)

Berto Monard wrote:

> I bet you were looking at Hg lines around 404.7, 407.8 and 435.8 nm.
> They are violet to violet/blue and supposed to be visible.
> I use them a lot to calibrate wavelength functions for
> monochromators..

   It looks very likely.  I remeber I used a Hg lamp to calibrate the
wavelengths.  I also remeber I measured Blamer series; there may have been
H delta among them.

> I did some superficial testing yesterday and discovered that quite a
> number of materials fluoresce under UV -A light, not just paper.. and
> perhaps that's why UV seemed visible at the time.

    Probably this effect will not contribute to the UV visilibity if the
direct light.  Fluorescent material within or on the eye will have a
scattering effect.