[vsnet-alert 7641] Re: V4744 Sgr: deep fading!

Re: V4744 Sgr: deep fading!

>    Seiichiro Kiyota (Tsukuba, Japan) reports that V4744 Sgr (the fourth nova
> in Sgr last year) has experienced a dramatic fading.  The nova has been
> proposed to be an Fe II-class nova caught during the early stage of an
> outburst (cf. vsnet-alert 7566, 7576).  Together with the slow fading and
> the narrowness of the emission lines observed in November (before the solar
> conjunction), the nova may have experienced a dust fading as observed
> in the slow nova V705 Cas.  (We should also bear in mind that V4744 Sgr
> was once reported to show some spectroscopic similarities with V838 Mon,
> cf. vsnet-alert 7566).
>
> CCD magnitude estimates by VSOLJ members
>
> object         YYYYMMDD(UT)   mag  code
> SGRV4744       20030130.865  13.55Ic  Kis.VSOLJ
>
> Observer's code:
>   Kis: S. Kiyota (Tsukuba, Japan)

   Kiyota-san just reported that the object was much fainter than the
above estimate (giving an upper limit of Ic = 13.5).  The object looked
almost undetectable on Kiyota-san's image.  The fading seems to be even
deeper than the description mentioned above.