[vsnet-survey 72] (fwd) [vsnet-chat 4941] Re: RES: (fwd) Finding the right focal lenght for Novae Search

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:45:27 -0700 (MST)
From: Brian Skiff <bas@lowell.edu>
Subject: [vsnet-chat 4941] Re: RES: (fwd) Finding the right focal lenght f or Novae Search

     Cristovao wrote:
>> Most of the galactic novae occur in the 7th to 8th magnitude range.

     But a big unknown is:  how many are being missed at 9th to 12th,
particularly in the Galactic bulge region?

     If possible I would argue to not sacrifice image-sharpness too much
for sheer efficiency.  I second Arne's suggestion of going for a little
more focal length instead of sky coverage since you already know that
the novae will be concentrated within 20 deg of the galactic center.
I also second the use of an IR-blocked R filter for the reasons Arne
mentions, plus being able to rely on the magnitudes, unlike many recent
discoveries.

\Brian