[vsnet-survey 66] (fwd) variable star survey by Vello Tabur

(fwd) variable star survey by Vello Tabur

   The following messages have been posted to vsnet-chat:

From: Fraser Farrell <fraser@trilobytes.com.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 01:22:54 +1030
Subject: [vsnet-chat 4929] Re: new southern variables

Vello,

So discovering C/1996 Q1 and C/1997 N1 wasn't enough for you? Now you have to
find hundreds of apparently unknown southern variables as well?  Bugga...what
does that leave for the rest of us to find?  ;-)

Seriously, I was fascinated by your results so far, so I'm taking the liberty
of CCing this to VSNET and a few other people who may be interested. Your
entire original message is therefore appended for the benefit of those other
readers; and I expect you will get other responses than what follows.

And have you considered presenting this work at the next NACAA?

- - - -

You probably know already that the GCVS + NSV + HIPP are not complete for
variable stars. And in the case of the GCVS some of the numbers are as dodgey
as the last Federal Budget. The definitive and actively maintained versions
of the GCVS & NSV and their supplements are available online at:
http://www.sai.msu.su/groups/cluster/gcvs/gcvs/

For variables brighter than ~12 I would also check out the Tycho Catalogue's
variable stars annex, the Catalogue of Cool Carbon Stars, the S Stars
catalogue, the Cataclysmic Variables lists, and the IRAS and MSX/MSX5C
sources. All of these are available through the CDS Vizier catalogue
collection at:  http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/   where you will also find
thousands of other catalogues for all sorts of Things Out There (including
the latest GCVS etc if the Russians are offline).

The CDS also runs the SIMBAD database at:  http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/Simbad
 SIMBAD is brilliant for queries like "list all known objects within X
arcminutes of ..." and "show me references for this object". For example a
public access query on my favourite Very Red Star DY Cru returned eight
catalogued names, 11 literature abstracts and a finder chart. If you need
full access to SIMBAD send an email to the managers explaining who you are
and what you do. Worked for me, even though I haven't discovered any comets
;-)

The IBVS is another place to look. Thousands of issues are available online
at:  http://www.konkoly.hu/IBVS/   Typical IBVS articles announce discoveries
of new variables, significant observations of known variables, updates to
catalogue data etc. The editorial policy is to keep 'em short & sweet. Plenty
of amateur contributors too.

And I should mention VSNET itself at:
vast amounts of info and (fortunately) it is searchable online. You can also
subscribe to any of a zillion mailing lists - but be warned the traffic on
some of them is immense!

- - - -

I note that your CCD survey is optimised for comet-hunting and the variable
star info is a byproduct. Nevertheless I'm not aware of any similar
wide-field surveys of the southern sky which are producing results like yours
[** correct me if I'm wrong, readers **]. MACHO and OGLE and their ilk have
done or are doing regular surveys of specific patches of southern sky; and
there are several people surveying the galactic plane and Magellanics for
novae.

The closest equivalent I know about to your equipment & techniques seems to
be the MISAO project. They recently announced their 1100th new variable. As a
byproduct they have resolved a lot of misidentifications and positional
errors in the GCVS. However their published list contains nothing south of
Dec -33d so I presume all their observers are northern. Check out their
website at:  http://www.aerith.net/misao/index.html   MISAO also maintain a
link list to many interesting and useful catalogues.

The Amateur Sky Survey (TASS) is currently testing their latest camera
design, which will takes simultaneous 100-sec CCD exposures in B V R and I to
discover and characterise all sorts of objects. So far TASS has concentrated
on equatorial regions but there is at least one TASS camera already in the
southern hemisphere. Check TASS out at:  http://www.tass-survey.org

- - - -

I assume you want to maintain maximum CCD sensitivity for your comet hunting,
therefore using a V filter or IR blocker is not desirable. This does make it
a tad difficult to transform your lightcurves into standard magnitudes (I
think Mike Bessel at Stromlo has a method?), but for some investigations this
isn't a problem.

For example, the discovery process itself, determination of any period(s),
and times of maxima/minima. Even the known variables can benefit from
unfiltered CCD because their characteristics change. Many southern specimens
have not been examined since Don Bradman humiliated the poms at Lords!

Generally, the red variables look much brighter than visual on unfiltered CCD
- much to the embarrassment of new chum nova hunters - but their amplitudes
are smaller. A lot of the dramatic visual variation is caused by a
combination of the peak energy emission moving between Red and Very Red (or
Near-Infrared), and temperature-triggered formation of opaque oxides in their
atmospheres. Many specimens also have circumstellar material which is
infrared-bright, or line emissions in the red & near infrared.

After looking at some of your 1000+ lightcurves I would agree a lot of them
are miras or semiregulars. And those flatliners may turn out to be constant
after all: suburban Canberra isn't the ideal place to do rigorous photometry!
Nevertheless there are lots of interesting wiggly ones on your "unknown" list
which demand follow-up; and undoubtedly some surprises await us in your known
list.

Speaking personally I'm wondering if you have bagged any of the RV Tau
variables I (occasionally) watch. Do you have a list of names of the stars
you have imaged?

- - - -

Frank's apparent disinterest is not out of character for him (sadly), but I'm
surprised that the AAVSO didn't bite. They have a CCD section. And Janet is
usually eager to receive any kind of observations from down here.

Another alternative is to send your data to VSNET. A number of CCD and
photographic observers already do this as a matter of routine; and some of
them are only doing differential photometry like you. Of course identify the
comparison stars etc. Some of these listings contain variables that are
recorded nowhere else.

And finally, don't be at all surprised to discover new things in our half of
the sky. You of all people should know that! ;-)

cheers,

Fraser Farrell
Buying Your First Telescope In Australia
www.trilobytes.com.au/astronomy/scope.htm

Binocular variables for Southern Observers
www.trilobytes.com.au/astronomy/bvstars.htm