[vsnet-survey 59] Re: latest version GCVS3

Taichi Kato wrote

>Re: [vsnet-survey 56] latest version GCVS3
>
>> ftp://ftp.sai.msu.su/pub/groups/cluster/gcvs/gcvs/iii/iii.zip
>>
>> Contains the latest version of GCVS3 vols I-III with all namelists
>> _including_ number 75 added, _and_ for the first time, the remarks from the
>> printed catalogue as an English text file!!!
>>
>> http://www.sai.msu.su/groups/cluster/gcvs/gcvs/iii/ is the blurb page.
>
>  I thought that the latest electronic version of GCVS has been referred
>to as version 4.2 (not GCVS3).  Nevertheless, the updated entries in the
>present online version of GCVS have been already incorporated into the VSNET
>individual variables' pages.

Fair point... ...sorry, I'm a bit out of touch.

I'm not surprised that this is already incorporated into the vsnet logs,
but I did like to make the point that the GCVS themselves had recently
updated their catalogue.

For instance, the CDS SIMBAD server still insists on giving details for
variables only from the "real" GCVS3, and we are now on GCVS 4.n, as TK
says. And a helluva a lot of new variables are consequently difficuilt to
access via SIMBAD, as the namelists seem not to be incorporated [at least,
last time I played].

The GCVS webpages actually have an online interrogator to their latest GCVS
catalogue, and I recommend folk use that instead of SIMBAD data [see above
http url, truncated to first .../gcvs/

Cheers

John