[vsnet-sdor 14] re HD 5980

HD 5980 is listed as SMC V1484 in the GCVS Vol V

Max mag is given as 11.61 V, with amplitude of 0.31 V

Epoch is quoted as JD 2443158.771 and period as 19.266 days.

It is a Wolf-Rayet binary logged as EA/GS in vol V, spectra WN4+O7

The remarks file goes on to list Periods of 600 to 900 days [036], 520 days
[035] and 409 days (with 800 days and 100 days also mentioned) [445]

Where the references equate to :

>035. C.J. Butler, AsAp Suppl 32, No.1, 83, 1978.
>036. F.W. Wright, P.W. Hodge, AJ 76, No.10, 1003, 1971.
>445. N. Reid, I.S. Glass, R.M. Catchpole, MNRAS 232, No.1, 53, 1988

all of which should be available via adsabs.harvard.edu

I haven't looked, so am currently unaware as to what these long term
cyclicities are supposed to be about.

re charts : if you go to http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/sim-fid.pl , type in HD
5980 for the search, submit, follow the link for _interactive_ Aladin
viewer, you'll get a 14' field image after the Java has loaded and run.
The red crosses are SIMBAD objects, and they can be deleted in the pane
dialogue at left.

Then select LOAD from the JAVA Aladin box, then select VIZIER, then type
dcmc in the input box marked "catalogue", then press submit.

You will now get all the objects from the DENIS SMC catalogue overlaid.
Click on them with the cursor to see info at bottom in status line.  Place
cursor over numbers for a description to pop up.  Astrometry will be good
and match up to the image.  Photometry is unfortunately in gunn I and J and
Ks passbands, but gunn I isn't too far off Cousins I for stars of B-V~V-I
less than 1 [ish], and may be okay for CCD folk.

You should be able to save this image to disk...

Cheers

John

JG, UK