[vsnet-id 266] Re: [vsnet-chat 3568] Re: NSV 12041

     Kato-san wrote:
> ...the IRAS identification may better represent the nearby 9-th mag red star...

     The IRAS position error-ellipse (which is a 95-percent confidence interval)
has semimajor axes of 18"x5" in pa 82 deg, so it almost certainly applies to
the faint red star, not the BD star, which is about 45" distant.
     I note that the 2MASS position is more than 1" from the USNO-A2.0 position
for the faint red star.  Given that they are both ICRS-based catalogues,
either the 2MASS position errors are overstated or there is perhaps some
proper motion of the star.  Given that the star is probably saturated in the
2MASS data, another possibility is that the 2MASS position is poor due to the
software being unable to provide a good centroid.

\Brian