[vsnet-id 57] Re: NU Her / nu Her

Dear Fraser,

> Similarly, if I begin observing a "nu..." it would be renamed "NIU".
> The electronic GCVS contains other examples.  This probably doesn't help
> you with SIMBAD but it certainly clarifies my database.  Of course the
> important thing is to be _consistent_; which is the main reason I copied
> the GCVS idea.

   Other than nu and mu cases, the GCVS group uses other non-standard Roman
expressions of Greek alphabets, such as DZETA.  I understand this GCVS
convention originated from the limitation of similtaneous usage of upper
and lower case letters (I understand the computers they used were assigned
for Russian alphabets for codes for lower case Roman alphabets).  Free from
these restrictions, we no longer need to stay on the GCVS convention.

   Even adopting the GCVS method, there still remains ambiguity on u Her
and U Her.  The case-sensitive expression can be a better solution.