[vsnet-id 52] Re: NU Her/nu Her

Re: [vsnet-id 50] NU Her/nu Her

>   I describe a small hindrance I came across
> while working on MVS ids. I found it difficult
> to find NU Her coordinates. SIMBAD query and
> GCVS index on VSNET both returned nu Her
> (greek alphabet).
>
>   I took a time-out and checked how many coincidences
> there are. Now the number is nine; there are a few
> mu/nu variables waiting to join this group:

   From this reason, the VSNET reporting format recommends to use lower
case letters for Greek alphabets.  Some observers report CEPMU instead
of CEPmu, I make conversions when I encounter them (the case is less
problematic since MU Cep is not a familiar variable).  More problematic
case is MU Cen and mu Cen, both of which are traditional targets of
amateur variable star observing.  Journals like Ap. J. use only upper
case letters in their cover index, which sometimes lead to confusion
for these variables.

   The confusion in VSNET pages is partly due to the limitation in DOS
file systems, on which I did some works.  I know some URLs on GCVS pages
overlap, but I thought it better the use lower case letter which benefit
for the majority of variable stars.