[vsnet-history 1339] Re: VS observations (Bengtsson)

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 93 16:29 MDT
From: hanben@saaf.se (Hans Bengtsson)

From: hanben@electra.saaf.se (Hans Bengtsson)
Newsgroups: saaf.to-ML
Subject: Exchange of V.S. results
Date: 14 Aug 1993 16:23:59 +0200
Sender: saaf@electra.saaf.se

Dear Mr Tako,

Many thanks for your e-mail.
We shall be happy to exchange our V.S. results with yours. We already
receive your results, and I thought that the information was spread
also in the other direction, via the Scandinavian e-mail service on
variable stars. I am sorry if this is not the case, but I promise
that this will be solved within short.

It may be interesting for you to know, that the Swedish BBS
for amateur astronomers has been in use for some years now. It is
very popular and works well. The computer is situated in Stockholm,
while I am observing from Goteborg (Sweden's 2nd city). In spite of
bright city skies, V.S. observing can be performed without too much
difficulty from here.

Our BBS is divided into 21 "meetings" (called j1 ... j21). After
an observing session, I send a preliminary report to j5. Then,
before logging out, I type OBSSEND filenumber, and the specified file
is then automatically sent from j5 to the Scandinavian V.S. e-mail service in
Finland. From there, it is distributed to people connected to that service
(as I said, I thought all the way to Japan ...). Some hours later, my report
returns to our BBS, to j21, where also nightly reports from (for instance)
Granslo in Norway, Poyner in England, Schmeer in Germany, and not at least
Tako in Japan, are found. Such reports from abroad are extremely valuable
for us.

The autumn season has just started in Sweden; very few, if any, reports from
us have been sent in June and July (this could perhaps be the simple
solution?). Please let me know if you have received full reports (with
altogether about 90 or 100 estimates) for the night Aug 13-14 from Margareta
Westlund and myself. If not, then it is obvious that the communication
works only in one direction as the situation stands today. My confirmation
of the DX And outburst was sent specifically to you, besides via our
general OBSSEND command.

No rain of Perseids could be seen from Goteburg, only rain consisting of
droplets! Stockholm and Uppsala were more lucky, with about 1000 people
gathered outside the Uppsala observatory, sitting in chairs and eating
hamburgers, which were sold all night. When the sharp maximum took place,
however, morning light had already come.

Please let me here from you soon,
Regards,
Hans Bengtsson

Return to Home Page