[vsnet-history 1154] SN 1993J prediscovery (van Driel)

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 93 10:44:17 JST
From: vandriel@kikyo.kiso.ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Wim van Driel	)

 Dear Dr. de Vaucouleurs,

 Thank you for calling my attention to the photometry of faint stars
in M81 by Zwickgraf & Humphreys (1991), I just returned to Kiso and used
it to determine an upper limit for SN1993J in our March 25.60 pre-disco-
very image. From the detections and non-detections in an unsharp masked
version of the image I estimate that the detection limit for the super-
nova is somewhere between 18.5 and 19 in R; we will adopt 18.5 as the
final (conservative) upper limit.

 Best regards,

 Wim van Driel