[vsnet-history 570] SN 1993J (Yamaoka)

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 93 17:05:38 +0900
From: Hitoshi Yamaoka <yamaoka@apsun1.astron.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject: SN 1993J in M81

Dear Kato,

  NEWS!! SN 1993J have discovered 3 days ago in NGC 3031=M81. It
would become about 8mag in few weeks, which will be the brightest
supernova in northern hemisphere since 1937C.

  Could you make the photometry and spectroscopy (if possible) of
it? It makes very large help for SN study, UV or X-ray observation
(especially ASCA project), and distance estimation of extragalactic
SN, and so on.

  Below, I put the informations from IAUC and other observers. The
article from Dr. Tsunebuka is in Japanese. Can you read it?? (If you
can, I will write e-mails in Japanese after this. ^_^)

  This is NOT for an APRIL FOOL'S DAY (^_^)!

Regards,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Dept. of Physics, Coll. of General Education,
        Kyushu Univ., Japan
yamaoka@apsun1.astron.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (I access this address every day)
g78261a@kyu-cc.cc.kyushu-u.ac.jp      (This machine will wake up on 4/2)

--- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< ---
                                                  Circular No. 5731
SUPERNOVA 1993J IN NGC 3031
     J. Ripero, Madrid, Spain, reports that F. Garcia, Lugo, Spain,
discovered a possible supernova on Mar. 28 as much as 5' southwest
of the nucleus of NGC 3031 = M81.  The object was also recorded in an
ST-4 CCD image obtained by D. Rodriguez as some 30" northeast of a
mag 14 foreground star.  Magnitude estimates: Mar. 26.9 UT, [14.0 (Garcia
and P. Pujol); 28.86, 12.0 (Garcia, visual), 29.1, 11.8 (Rodriguez, CCD
unfiltered); 29.88, 11.3 (Pujol); 29.88, 11.0 (Rodriguez).

     A. V. Filippenko, University of California at Berkeley, reports:
"A CCD image of M81 obtained on Mar. 30.1 UT by R. R. Treffers
and Y. Paik (also of Berkeley) with the 0.8-m reflector at Leuschner
Observatory confirms the presence of a new stellar object roughly
45" west and 160" south of the nucleus.  The visual magnitude is
approximately 11.  Inspection of CCD spectra (range 356-731 nm)
obtained on Mar. 30.3 by M. Davis and D. Schlegel (also of Berkeley)
with the Lick 3-m Shane reflector reveals that the object is indeed
a supernova.  The continuum is very blue and remarkably featureless.
The only clear absorption lines are narrow Na I D and Ca II H + K,
undoubtedly of interstellar origin.  It is probable, but not yet
certain, that the object is a type II supernova observed only a few
days after the explosion.  Note, however, that the type Ia SN 1991T
exhibited a relatively featureless spectrum well before maximum
brightness (Filippenko et al. 1992, Ap.J. 384, L15).  Depending on its
spectral type, distance and extinction, SN 1993J may reach eighth
magnitude during the next two weeks.  Aside from SN 1987A in the LMC,
it is therefore the brightest supernova since SN 1972E in NGC 5253.
Further observations throughout the electromagnetic spectrum are urged."

     F. D. A. Hartwick, D. D. Balam, D. Zurek and R. M. Robb,
Climenhaga Observatory, University of Victoria, provide the following
precise position for the supernova, measured by Balam from a CCD image
obtained with the 0.5-m reflector on Mar. 30.25 UT: R.A. =
9h51m19s.27, Decl. = +69D15'25".7 (equinox 1950.0).  Photometry
yields V = 10.2 +/- 0.1.

     P. Garnavich and B. A. Hong, Dominion Astrophysical Observatory,
communicate: "Spectra (range 550-690 nm, resolution 0.6 nm) of the
supernova were taken with the DAO 1.8-m telescope on Mar. 30.25 UT.
The spectrum shows a strong, flat continuum with weak H alpha and He I
587.5 nm) features, consistent with that of a type II supernova."

1993 March 30                  (5731)              Brian G. Marsden

                                                  Circular No. 5733
SUPERNOVA 1993J IN NGC 3031
     G. Gomez, Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias; and R. Lopez,
University of Barcelona, report: "A spectrum (range 500-850 nm,
resolution 0.3 nm) taken on Mar. 30 by E. Perez with the 2.5-m Isaac
Newton Telescope shows some similarity to the premaximum spectrum
of the type II supernova 1990E.  In particular, there is a very broad
(FWZI about 70 nm) emission band toward 650 nm that could correspond
to H alpha."

     Corrigenda.  On IAUC 5731, the names P. Pujol and B. A. Hong
should have been given as F. Pujol and H. B. Ann, respectively, and
the time of the first CCD image should have been Mar. 28.89, rather
than Mar. 29.1.

     Further visual magnitude estimates: Mar. 29.95 UT, 11.1 (F.
Garcia, Lugo, Spain); 30.84, 10.3 (P. Schmeer, Bischmisheim, Germany).

1993 March 30                  (5733)              Brian G. Marsden
                                                  Circular No. 5736
SUPERNOVA 1993J in NGC 3031
     Spectrograms obtained with the 1.93-m Observatoire de Haute Provence
telescope by Y. Andrillat on Mar. 30.95 UT showed no feature in the
region of the near-infrared Ca II triplet.  On Mar. 31.00 H alpha was
detected in emission with an equivalent width of 0.03 nm and a FWHM of
190 km/s.

     CCD photometry by P. Prugniel at the 0.8-m Observatoire de Haute
Provence telescope on Mar. 31.00 UT gave B = 11.05, B-R = +0.3.

     J.-M. Perelmuter, Observatoire du Mont Megantic, Universite de
Montreal, notes the presence on Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope 1980
plates and Kitt Peak National Observatory 1990 CCD images of an object
within 0".2 of the position of SN 1993J quoted by Hartwick et al.
on IAUC 5731.  The object appears stellar on images with FWHM as small
as 1".0 and had V = 20.0, B-V = +1.1, V-R = +0.7 (uncertainty 0.1 mag)
in Mar. 1990.

     Visual magnitude estimates: Mar. 30.94 UT, 10.5 (J. D. Shanklin,
Cambridge, England); 31.1, 10 (R. Kohl, Lakewood, NY; independent
discovery); 31.13, 10.5 (F. Cianciolo, R. Gearhart and A. Dosaj,
Austin, TX).

1993 March 31                  (5736)              Brian G. Marsden