[vsnet-history 547] SN 1993J alert (Hurst)

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 93 19:23 GMT
From: Guy M Hurst <GMH@ASTROPHYSICS.STARLINK.RUTHERFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: URGENT!! SN in M81, Guy M Hurst

From:   CBS%UK.AC.SPAN-RELAY::"IAC::MRK" 30-MAR-1993 14:01:34.07
To:     GMH
CC:
Subj:   ***** URGENT ***** BRIGHT SUPERNOVA IN M81

Via: UK.AC.SPAN-RELAY; Tue, 30 Mar 93  14:01 GMT
Date:           Tue, 30 Mar 93  14:01 GMT
From:           "IAC::MRK"@UK.AC.SPAN-RELAY
To:             GMH@UK.AC.RUTHERFORD.STARLINK.ASTROPHYSICS
Subject:        ***** URGENT ***** BRIGHT SUPERNOVA IN M81

Urgent Supernova Alert
March 30th 12:30UT

A supernova was discovered, as I understand it, on Sunday/Monday in NGC3031
(M81). As this is one of the nearest galaxies the Sn is expected to become
very bright depending on the type. At discovery it was mag 12 and can be
expected to reach mag 8 (if Type 1) or mag 9 (if Type 2). It is thus obviously
well before maximum.

A spectrum was taken by Enrique Perez of the IAC with the 2.5m Isaac Newton
Telescope last night (March 29/30) and shows that it is a definite supernova.
Alex Filipenko also has obtained a spectrum.

The magnitude was measured last night as 11.8 and, later, 11.3 (unspecified
band). The position is 9h51.5m, +69 18' (1950), 200"S and 210"W.

A provisional classification of the spectrum suggests that it is Type Ib.

I urge observers to follow this object urgently and to relay results to Guy
for retransmission.

No discovery announcement has been made to date on an IAUC, but an urgent
world-wide programme of observations is already under way. This is going to be
the brightest supernova (we hope) for more than 20 years, excepting Sn1987a

Mark Kidger