[vsnet-gcvs 131] (fwd) Re: [vsnet-survey 87] (fwd) [vsnet-chat 5037] OGLE variables

Re: [vsnet-survey 87] (fwd) [vsnet-chat 5037] OGLE variables

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:38:57 +0300 (MSK)
From: "Nikolai N. Samus" <samus@sai.msu.ru>

There are two kinds of catalogs, catalogs of variable stars and catalogs
of suspected variables. To be included into the GCVS, the star should be
studied well enough for the possibility of classification in the existing
system (not a simplified system, like pulsating, eclipsing,
miscellaneous). However, a somewhat uncertain classification can be
sufficient.

Fortunately, many automated surveys provide catalogs good enough as they
are. The GCVS team are in no hurry with these catalogs. Our MAIN problem
is that we cannot merge these catalogs with our catalogs automatically,
many old variables have very bad positions. By now, we have carefully
checked positions for approximately one half of the GCVS, and the number
of unsolved cases in this volume of data is very low (200 stars or less).
When we are through, the situation will be good enough to proceed with the
automated surveys.

Regards,
Nikolai Samus