[vsnet-gcvs 82] (fwd) [vsnet-chat 4360] Re: Orthography etc

From: "Mati Morel" <morel@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:38:25 +1000

While on the subject of orthography and related issues.......
I recently found an example of a spurious VS designation which apparently
snuck in by accident, and may even now be entrenched in the literature.   In
the "Catalogue of Symbiotic Stars" by David Allen ( Proc. ASA 5 (3) 1984),
the sixth entry in Table 1 is  for V741 Per. The same designation is
repeated in the list of symbiotic stars by S. Kenyon, "The Symbiotic Stars"
(Cambridge Univ. Press), and has apparently been used by other observers.
Unfortunately, the variable star odometer for Perseus is a long way short of
741, and won't be reached for several years at the present rate.  The actual
symbio. star is  _V471 Per_.   Could result in an interesting dilemma later
on this century when it comes time to invoke the "real" V741 Per.
    I came upon this after downloading the abtract of Arne Henden and Ulisse
Munari, of UBVR Sequences for Symbiotic Variables, Paper II.  They note the
confusion caused by this mistake, but "V741 Per" still occurs in at least
one place ......

Incidentally, I see that the GCVS uses three formats :
V999 Sgr  in volumes 1-3; (no space)
V 999 Sgr in vol. 4            (with space)
V0999 ---  in vol. 5 & most recent namelist.

Regards,
Mati

Morel Astrographics
*charts* variable star studies* specialized charts*
morel@ozemail.com.au
Web: http://vsnet.ozemail.com.au/~morel