[vsnet-computing 16] (fwd) Comet C2000WM1 - unusual structures present?

(fwd) Comet C2000WM1 - unusual structures present?

   We have received the following note from Tom Krajci:

---

From: "Tom & Lou Krajci" <krajcit@3lefties.com>
Subject: Comet C2000WM1 - unusual structures present?
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:55:49 -0700

I have posted updates from 48 hours later (19-20 Nov).  Comet features
appear to
be changing..but I'm still trying to determine if these are processing
artifacts or real structures.

See:
http://members.3lefties.com/krajcit/
specifically
http://members.3lefties.com/krajcit/C2000WM1.htm

When others image the comet at a similar image scale...do they get similar
results with rank processing and local adaptive sharpening?  Is the
Larson-Sekanina processing algorithm the only way to enhance detail in a
comet?  Am I using bad techniques?  (I have applied local adaptive
sharpening and rank processing to some of my star images of similar
brightness as the nucleus...and don't get these artifacts...only the 'black
donut' effect from aggressive image processing.)

Thanks in advance,
Tom Krajci