[vsnet-chat 4266] Re: vsnet chat topics

>     A potential problem arises in the present case of "possible outburst
> of QW Ser" suggested (privately) by Patrick Schmeer.  If there is no
> additional observation, should he register his possible postive
observation,
> or should he withdraw it because there is no confirmation?  Though I
suppose
> the latter approach might be more frequently taken, this could introduce
> additional bias.  My preference is the first approach, to report all
> observations as they were preceived.  Some possible positive sightings
> may turn out to be spurious, and other negative observations may turn
> out to be simple chance non-detection of true outbursts, but are
> statistically less biased than those observations suffering from
retrograde
> selections.
>
> Regards,
> Taichi Kato

OK, maybe I am a "positive" observer, but may false detections occur that
often??
I wouldn't report something that I'm not sure I have seen.
Even taking this approach I know some time I can make a mistake, but here it
looks like a spurious detection is an every day thing.
I totally agree with Taichi and Lew: I think all observations made should be
all observations reported.
If I decide not to report soemething, then I should swallow my desire of
being recognized as the discoverer. I mean: if I wasn't sure it is like I
didn't see it. If I was sure enough, I reported it and that's all.

I note Patrick continue to follow his private messages policy.
Patrick:  Noone is going to crucify you if you make a mistake. Make all of
your announcements publicly and this discussion will be coming to an (end?).

You look like your mind is set about it, in spite of the current situation.
I would really like to enjoy of your reports as I do with Mike's or
Maciej's.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

---