[vsnet-chat 2276] (fwd) Re: Strong oscillation in Nova Cir1999?

Dear Taichi and readers,

I would like to comment on the posting from Brian Fraser.

There is a definite possibility of magnitude estimate off-sets due to
personal differences in red/blue sensitivity and perhaps here and
there some personal bias regarding to what possibly is the expected
magnitude of the nova at that moment.
However I disagree that this should be generalised and that I
therefore wish to state my agreement with Taichi's statement that the
oscillations are a true representation of the nova's past behaviour. I
have no doubt that the nova has been down to (at least) around
magnitude 8.7 on 24/8 (as reported by experienced observers) and that
it re-brightened afterwards and reported 12 hours later at around 8.0
by experienced observers from other continents. This oscillation has
repeated itself with a diminishing amplitude during the following 24 h
as seen in the lightcurve by experienced observers.
There is no doubt in my mind that a (probably aperiodic) oscillation
in the luminosity of Nova Cir 1999 took place.

Best regards,

Berto Monard
Pretoria