[vsnet-campaign-sn2002ap 33] Re: SN 2002ap spectrum

Re: SN 2002ap spectrum

>  I presume that the hypernova classification is based on its
>luminosity (or total energy), rather than the spectrum.

Another feature of hypernovae is a very (up to 30000 km/s or more)
expansion velocity, derived both from the width and the blueshift of
the absorption features (if identified).

>  I wonder what would be the expected maximum magnitude (and when)
>of this super/hypernova.

  It is not certain, but it would be as bright as, or somewhat
brighter than, normal SN Ia.  The maximum will be in next 20 days or
so, but it is also uncertain.  Keep your eyes on this exceptional
object until it will go away.

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan
yamaoka@rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp