[vsnet-campaign-sn 240] (fwd) HST Initiative.

   Forwarded message from M. Schwartz:

From: Michael Schwartz <mbs@tenagraobservatories.com>

Dear Supernovae Searchers,

We are approaching the first window of the availibily of HST
time.  There will be two more such windows over the next
two months.

I congratulate CROSS and our British friends on commendable
efforts in finding new SNe.

But I would again like to emphasize that what is required of
the HST initiative is EARLY, ON THE RISE supernovae.  In
spite of the number of SNe found by amateurs, all of them
have been after maximum light.

Again I urge you to temporarily drop the competitave exper-
ience and go for the science.  This means that experienced
SNe hunters should:

(1) Choose 3-4 sections of the sky, each comprised of a full
night's imaging of galaxies.

(2) Rotate continually through these 3 or 4 lists.

Yes, you will find less supernovae this way.  But what is
a few more notches in your gun when it comes to determining
the very nature of the universe, whether or not inflation
existed at the beginning of the universe, where is all the
dark energy and is there a fifth force in nature?  Which
goal would you prefer?

LOTOSS has published its galaxy list for all to peruse.  It
makes sense to not include these in any other searches.  I
encourge the most productive amateurs to cooperate to make
sure that they don't overlap in their choice of galaxies.
Finally, change your selection method to include S0 and E
galaxies, as we known that (a) these are likely type Ia and
(b) absorption of supernova's light tends to be minimized
in galaxies with reduced dust.  finally, earth based
photometry and spcetroscopy for these supernovae over time.
It makes no sense to search in areas that will be soon
lost in evening twilight.

Please let me know if I can help in these cooperative
efforts.  There will be plenty of time for people to
return to the goal of more supernovae then the next person
after the HST initiative.

Most Sincerely,

Michael Schwartz
Tenagra Observatories