[vsnet-campaign-ccd-discussion 53] Re: [vsnet-chat 6075] Re: Request for AIP4WIN and other CCD photometry software

Re: [vsnet-chat 6075] Re: Request for AIP4WIN and other CCD photometry software

> Concerning difficulty of writing, it was quite easy. Because
> I am not any kind of highly skilled computer programmer and
> I realised that the worst point are photometrical routines,
> I "looted" a great piece of software - MUNIPACK - for FITS
> operations, aperture photometry and catalogue matching and
> wrote Perl scripts to operate on inputs and outputs. The
> whole code constitutes of approx. 1700 lines with commentary
> and it took me some 50 hours of time to write it (including
> beta testing).

   Yes, this is perfectly true for the combination of a special instrument
setup and an observer who can (have time and skill to) write the necessary
code.  But this condition is difficult to meet...  This is why I requested
general-purpose program.  It would not be an easy job, but the current
specifications of CCDs and telescopes would be better than automating
general-purpose photographic measurements.

> Regarding sequences and comparison stars - it took me
> another 50 hours to select comparison stars for some 60
> fields. And I will spent further time to check it - due to
> my past experiences I won't dare to send data without
> checking comp stars and identifications.

   Yes, the comparison stars need to be re-adujsted even long time after
the initial observation.  It would be better if the software does not
require re-measurement of the original images, but can do re-adjustment
on already measured data.  PIXY has a disadvantage in this regard.

Return to the Powerful Daisaku