[vsnet-campaign-ccd-discussion 52] Re: [vsnet-chat 6074] Re: Request for AIP4WIN and other CCD photometry software

Re: [vsnet-chat 6074] Re: Request for AIP4WIN and other CCD photometry software

>   The result is a list of positions and magnitudes for all the stars
> detected on all the frames.  No human intervention is required.

   I understand the process.  I presume that most of professional photometrists
have their own ways of doing the more-or-less similar process, but the
application is usually limited, or the software would assume some extra
skills for operation.  This is why I requested to popular/commercial software
writers.  Usually there is no necessity for human intervention to get raw
magnitudes, but there is usually necessity for extracting magnitudes of
specific variables (either with additional software operation or with script
writing) -- this process could be more facilitated with the current
advent of the software technology.

   The other (more important?) thing is that there is undoubtedly prevailing
tendency that "the modes of software operation regulate human modalities".
[Do humans use software, or software uses human?]  When there are many
varieties of software that enable different modes of operation, this
would not be a serious problem.  But in actuality, automatic photometric
software is getting more confined to a single-mode operation, which,
in my words, stems from an old fashion established decades ago (this mode
is a "CCD synthetic aperture" extension of photoelectric photometry).
Although this method is proven to be efficient to some special applications
(which are also a fashion among professional astronomers in some 20-30 years
ago) to precision photometry of low-amplitude, short-period stars, this is
not the sole application of CCD photometry, neither this application
illustrates the full potentiality of (amateur) activities with CCDs.

   For example, this method is suitable for low-amplitude objects, such as
novalike variables, short-period pulsators and eclipsing binaries.
The amateur applications of CCDs are getting more and more restricted to
these objects (see recent IBVS issues), while once the object deviates from
this category, there are only few applications.  Think how different
classes of objects (e.g. from the AAVSO targets) have been continuously
observed with CCDs.  There are only few exceptions; even the most peculiar
object V838 Mon was observed so infrequently that amateur CCD observations
were not as efficient as visual observations to fully describe the object's
behavior, let alone novae (think how many telescope tracked U Sco or CI Aql
outbursts during which CCD time-resolved observations of low-amplitude
objects were plenty).  The same is true for (more fashionable?) dwarf nova
observations.  Once the object becomes undetectable with certain software,
the obsrervation is usually discontinued even if the original images have
extractable information.  The result is that there is very restricted
coverge of a particular phase of the full development of the dwarf nova
behavior.  Think how many people stopped observing, or even encouraged to
stop observing, after EG Cnc once faded from the 1996 outburst, and the
star experienced unexpected series of post-outburst rebrightenings once
CCD observers turned their eyes to different objects.  If the object had
been tracked even after the object faded, there must have been full CCD
coverage of at least some of rebrightenings.  It was as if the main cause
of the rebeightenings was from an instability between the encouraging
and discouraging forces after the initial fading ;-) [I leave to readers
identifications which were encouraging/discouraging forces; just look
back the web/e-mail log].  Such a sad cosequence may be avoided, if the
coming software enables meaningful photometry (not simple non-detection)
of faint objects, and if the discouraging force is removed.

   Back to other objects, the lack of observations does not mean the less
degree of expected scientific return for the objects which are outside
the scope of low-amplitude objects.  My experience and suggestion are the
rather contrary.  The regime of low-amplitude, short-period objects has
been so well established in the past decades that research on these objects
has been generally confined to (of course, there are exceptions) aim at
fine analysis, longer baseline observation, or statistics -- all of them
are concepts established dacades ago, and what one can do is an incremental
refinement requiring progressively more observing time.  If the same amount
of telescope time were devoted to different classes of objects, there would
have been much more scientific return (of course, there is necessity of
different science to interpret the data).

   I have encountered such classes novelties almost every time I turned
the telescope to a different class of object, or an object of timely
interest (usually a transient object), since the early 1990's,
and would like share the coming wonders with more generalized CCD
observers.  From my experience, I would warn against the current prevailing
fashion of too specialized (and not sufficiently novel) application of CCD
photometry.

Return to the Powerful Daisaku