[vsnet-campaign-ccd-discussion 48] Re: Request for AIP4WIN and other CCD photometry software

I have done almost exactly what Taichi suggests and my
reasons were almost the same.
There is a semi-automatic telescope at Brno observatory
capable to get images of 50 stars in 4 hours, 3 frames
in each VRI passband. Leaving aside that processing such a
heterogenous dataset (each triplet of images needs different
combination of dark frame, flat field a comparison stars) is
_very_ time consuming, there is a lot of place for user
errors. The process is highly repetitive and you can easily
mistake comp magnitudes, filter designation etc. About 95%
of images are processed without any error written on the
screen.

Concerning difficulty of writing, it was quite easy. Because
I am not any kind of highly skilled computer programmer and
I realised that the worst point are photometrical routines,
I "looted" a great piece of software - MUNIPACK - for FITS
operations, aperture photometry and catalogue matching and
wrote Perl scripts to operate on inputs and outputs. The
whole code constitutes of approx. 1700 lines with commentary
and it took me some 50 hours of time to write it (including
beta testing). (there is a Czech proverb "Measure twice, cut
once" so I spent hours just thinking about the problem
without doing actually anything :-))

The software fits perfectly needs of me and my collegues.
However, I have serious doubts if it would fit needs of
other people. Everyone's got a different camera, different
style of observing, different requests on output format.
Creating such a system for general use is almost impossible.
Maybe there should be some general rules and suggestions (or
even pieces of code) so everyone is able to write his own
software?

Regarding sequences and comparison stars - it took me
another 50 hours to select comparison stars for some 60
fields. And I will spent further time to check it - due to
my past experiences I won't dare to send data without
checking comp stars and identifications.

There are other things, which should be included in such
software. One might measure all stars in the FOV and
discover a lot of new variable stars. Or it is possible to
measure sky brightness and follow light pollution in your
area (there are not many such measurements -
astro-ph/0301115).

Best regards,

Ondrej Pejcha

Return to Home Page