[vsnet-campaign-ccd-discussion 47] Request for AIP4WIN and other CCD photometry software

Request for AIP4WIN and other CCD photometry software

Dear Colleagues,

   While writing a comment on NMO Campaign (not directly relevant),
an idea comes to my mind.  Present-day (amateur) CCD observations heavily
rely on automated CCD photometry programs.  I have a concern whether
the available features in such programs have forced the style of CCD
observers into a very specialized form.  For many CCD photometry programs,
time-series analyses of a long run on a single object is an easy task,
and people becoming familiar with CCD observations are getting more
involved in this type of observation than other forms of observation,
but this is not the only method of variable star observing.  With the
present-day automatic pointing of the telescope, one can reasonably
get images over 100 objects within a single night.  These observations
will enable us to detect many outbursts of CVs, long-term light curve
of long- or intermediate-period variable stars, both of which are
very traditional style of variable star observing, but are not reasonably
supported by current CCD photometry programs.

   I thereby request to authors of these programs to implement a function
to make photometry of many targets (i.e. many variable stars) within the
same night, without bothering to issue many independent commands or
time-consuming eye examination of individual images.  There will be
two approaches.  One will be to equip present variable star charts or
sequences (or photometric standards), with which one can automatically
measure any variable star which is included in these chart/sequence
collections once the observer get a CCD image of the field.  This
is an extention of the traditional style of variable star observing.
For CVs, Henden/Sumner/Misselt sequences (and future extensions) will
be sufficient.  We may need a similar public database of sequences
for other types of variable stars until we can get all-sky reliable
photometric catalogs.

   The other is an extention of time-series studies.  Once the observer
selects a set of comparisons for a certain object, the program
automatically uses this set for the same object on later observing nights.
The set of comparison stars can be redefined later when the initial set
becomes inadequate.  After operating with this style, the observer
can get a fair collection of personal sequences for many variable
stars with necessary precision and consistency what the observer expects
for time-series photometry.  The second approach would be similar to what
RoboScope has been doing for long-term activities of CVs.

   Writing such functions would be, by themselves, a difficult task,
but once they are implemented, they will be a far greater tool for all
CCD variable star observers, and I would surely recommend such a tool
for all observers starting with a CCD.  I wonder whether such an idea
has already proposed by other variable star organizations.  Any further
suggestions or comments are welcome.

Return to the Powerful Daisaku