[vsnet-campaign-be 102] Re: Omega CMa comparison stars

Re: Omega CMa comparison stars

> It is important to say that one should be careful in using them, but I think
> care must be taken in every estimate we make (see vsnet-chat 4199 and 4233).
> Every time I estimate a variable, it's like estimating its comparisons since
> I take the job of checking if everything is "okay". Using similar comparions
> (eg= 3.82, 3.96, 4.20), any difference between them would be perceived and
> .... and then I would send an alert !!!!

   I think that this is the best approach for visual photometry -- the use
of an emsemble of stars when a set of comparison stars unavoidably include
possible microvariables.  The same situation is met in bright Cassiopeia
variables in the northern hemisphere (almost all stars are suspected of
variability).

   Nevertheless, 3 Pup deserves more attention because it's one of
"prototype" stars of these high-luminosity peculiar stars.  They may be
variable in a large amplitude, and individual observations may be worth
reporting even when the star is quiet.