[vsnet-campaign-be 101] (fwd) Re: [vsnet-chat 4228] Re: Omega CMa comparison stars

(fwd) Re: [vsnet-campaign-be 100] Re: [vsnet-chat 4228] Re: Omega CMa comparison stars

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:41:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Petr Harmanec <hec@sunstel.asu.cas.cz>

Dear Mr. Kato,

     I agree absolutely that 3 Pup should not be used as a comparison star
for photometry. Actually, one can find a critical review of all comparison
stars used for photometry of omega CMa by various authors in my detailed
study of omega CMa (Harmanec P. 1998 Astronomy and Astrophysics 334, 558).
Note also that I published in that paper the analysis of long-term
changes and suggested that the long-term brightenings and other
characteristics could be periodic, one possible period being 8100d.
However, the visual estimates which you recently circulated do correspond
to normal, indisturbed magnitude of the star - see may Figs. 6 and 7.
To be `bright' means for omega CMa to have V near 3.6-3.7 mag.

      With my best wishes,

                                 Petr Harmanec