[vsnet-announce 26] AFOEV meeting in 2002

Association Fran巽aise des Observateurs d' Etoiles Variables
Si竪ge : Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
11, rue de l'Universit辿
67000 Strasbourg
http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/afoev/

International Meeting on Variable Stars

26th, 27th and 28th of August 2002

Held at Bourbon-Lancy (France)

April 15, 2001
===== First Circular and Annoucement =====

Dear Colleague,

We are pleased to announce that the AFOEV International Meeting on Variable
Stars will be held from Monday August 26th  to Wednesday August 28th  2002 in
Bourbon Lancy (France).

Objective :
========
The purpose of this meeting is to bring together variable stars observers and
variable stars scientists in order to discuss the reasons why observing
variable stars is an efficent way to contribute to the evolution of science,
to improve the way of observing, to find how the evoluting technology permits
new type of observation.

It also offers a unique opportunity for close interactions between observers
and users of observations and a convincing way to be sure that observing is
more than ever necessary in the beginning of the 21st century.

Scientific topics:
============
1. Visual observation, its advantages, its limits ;
2. Observation with a CCD camera : photometry with coloured filters, "
continuous " monitoring of stars with a small period and a small variation ;
3. The programs ;
4. The sequences ;
5. Inter associations cooperation ;
6. Beginners corner ;
7. Photographic photometry ;
8. Reduction of observations ;
9. Data processing with observation results ;
10. Publishing of observations ;
11. Variable stars and the WEB.

Those who are interested in the meeting and wish to receive further
information are requested to fill in the questionnaire attached below and
send  it to afoev2002@aol.com or by fax (+ 33 (0)3 85 80 05 96)

Deadline is September 30, 2001.

Scientific Organizing Committee:
========================
Eric Broens (Director, VVS Werkgroep Veranderlijke Sterren, Belgium).

Christian Buil Association des Utilisateurs de D辿tecteurs Electroniques
(France)

Goerg Comello (Librarian, Kapteyn Laboratorium, Den Haag, Nederland ;
Vereniging vor Weer- an Sterrenkunde/VSS, Nederland)

Michel Dumont (Groupe Europ辿en d'Observation Stellaire, France)

Jan Hers (Director, The Variable Stars Section  of the South Africa Astronomy
Organization)

Guy Hurst (Director, journal The Astronomer, England)

Dr Taichi KATO (Director, Variable Stars Network [VSNET], Japan)

Dr Laszlo L. Kiss (Hungarian Astronomical Association and Szeged University,
Hungary)

Dr Janet Akyuz Mattei (Director,  The American Association of Variable Star
Observers, USA)

Peter Maurer (President of the Bundesdeutsche Arbeitsgemeinschaft f端r
Ver辰nderliche Sterne e.V. , Germany)

Roger D. Pickard (Director of the Variable Star Section, British Astronomical
Association, England)

Dr Dominique Proust (Observatoire de Paris-Meudon, France)

Dr Philippe Sivagnanam (Observatoire de Paris-Meudon, France)

Bc. Petr Sobotka (Director of the MEDUZA group Tcheck R辿public)

Michel Verdenet (President of the AFOEV, France)

Local Organizing Committee :
======================
Michel Verdenet
Dominique Proust
Jo谷l Minois

Host Institutes :
============
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (France)*
Observatoire de Paris*
Conseil R辿gional de Bourgogne*
Conseil G辿n辿ral de Sa担ne et Loire*
Canton et ville de Bourbon-Lancy*
(*to be confirmed)

Duration of Meeting :
===============
The meeting will begin in the morning of Monday, August  26th , 2002 and end
in the afternoon on Wednesday, August 28th , 2002.

Meeting Place and Accommodation :
===========================
The meeting will be held in various places in Bourbon Lancy, which is an old,
small and pleasant town of Burgundy, where no place is very far form another
one.

Bourbon Lancy is located in the most western part of the d辿partement of Sa担ne
et Loire, 3 kilometres form the river Loire, on its right side. It can be
reached by car ; the nearest important railway stations are Moulins at 33 km
300 km from Paris) and Le Creusot-Montceau TGV station at 80 km (280 km from
Paris). The maximum number of participants is limited to 150.

Bourbon Lancy and its surroundings have quite a lot of hotels and camping
places and finding a place where to sleep and to have lunch or dinner is not
a problem. We are gathering information about that and you will soon have
them on our homepage.

Contributed Papers :
===============
The meeting will comprise invited talks, contributed oral presentations, and
poster presentations. A special poster session will be set up where each
paper can have a few-minute oral presentation. Junior/young scientists are
encouraged to submit the contributed papers.
A list of invited talks, the instruction for contributed paper, the
registration and accommodation forms will be released in the second circular.

Registration fees :
=============
At this time, we cannot precisely indicate the exact amount of the
registration fees (including Meeting proceedings, coffee breaks etc and NOT
accomodation, lunches, dinners and closing dinner). However we can indicate
that the fees should be around FF750 (which is approximatively 114 or
$100). Remember that at the date of the meeting, the only currency will be
the Euro (.

Although we are actively trying to raise funds to make that event cheaper, we
are not sure to get significant helps.

Pre-registration form :
================
If you are interested in the Meeting and wish to receive more information,
please fill in the form attached below and send it before September 30, 2001
to the Meeting secretariat, afoev2002@aol.com or by fax at +33 (0)3 85 80 05
96

Time Lines:
--------------------
September 30, 2001 : Deadline for the pre-registration

November 30, 2001 : Second circular with planned invited talks,  instruction
for contributed papers and the registration/accommodation forms

April 30, 2002 Deadline for registration and abstracts

June 30, 2002 Third circular with final program, transportation information,
etc.

August 26-28, 2002 Meeting

For further details about the Meeting, you are kindly requested to visit our
homepage at http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/afoev/

Correspondence:
----------------
Jo谷l MINOIS
Sali竪re
F-71670 Saint Pierre de Varennes
Phone   : +33 (0)3 85 80 05 95
Fax     : +33 (0)3 85 80 05 96
Cellular    : +33 (0)6 80 63 06 98
E-mail : joel.minois@centraliens.net

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
--------------- Please cut here and send to the secretariat --------------
        Mail : afoev2002@aol.com
        Fax : + 33 (0)3 85 80 05 96

Pre-registration form

(Family name), (First name), (Middle name)
Full name:

Title: (Prof./ Dr./ Mr./ Ms.)

Affiliation:

Postal address:

E-mail:

Fax:

I wish to receive the 2nd circular: (yes/no)

I plan to attend the meeting : (yes/maybe/no)

Number of accompanying persons:

I plan to submit a contributed paper: (yes, maybe/no)

Tentative title:

Brief abstract:

* Please send before September 30, 2001 to the Meeting secretariat,
afoev2002@aol.com, fax +33 (0)3 85 80 05 96