[vsnet-announce 14] (fwd) Variable Stars 2001 / 1st Announcement

 Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:43:26 +0200
 From: "Ivan L. Andronov  / Var Stars 2001" <astro@paco.odessa.ua>
 Subject: Variable Stars 2001 / 1st Announcement

Dear colleague,
Please distribute this Announcement in Your institute.

Wishing You a Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Millennium,

International Conference "VARIABLE STARS - 2001"

August 20-24, 2001, Odessa, Ukraine

First Announcement

   The international conference "Variable Stars" will take place on August
20-24, 2001. It continues the sequence of scientific symposia with this
title held in Odessa (1980, 1987, 1994, 1997), some of them dedicated to the
memory of Prof. V.P.Tsessevich (1907-1983), the prominent astronomer who
contributed greatly to the field of research of variable stars of different
types. This conference also continues a sequence of annual international
astronomical conferences on different topics held in Odessa since 1982.
   The main topics of the conference reflect modern trends in investigation
of variable stars of different types and in elaboration of new equipment and
methods of mathematical modeling. We hope that the conference will point out
new prospects for current research in the third Millennium and will
strengthen impact of the international collaboration in the field.
   The conference will be held in the beautiful city Odessa founded at the
Black Sea shore in 1794. This is an important scientific, educational,
cultural and business center with a suitable train and air connection and
nearly 1.5 million inhabitants. The conference is organized by the
Department of Astronomy and Astronomical Observatory which celebrate their
130-th Anniversary within the Odessa National University founded in 1865 and
by the Odessa Astronomical Society; co-sponsored by Ministry of Education
and Science of the Ukraine; Odessa National University; Ukrainian
Astronomical Association; Euro-Asian Astronomical Society.
   Invited reviews of main problems of modern variable stars research are
expected to be given at plenary sessions. Parallel and poster sessions
covering wide fields of astronomy will also be organized during the Conference.

The scientific program will including theory, observations, and their
confrontaion.
Preliminary topics are:

1.Interacting binary stars (including sessions on cataclysmic, symbiotic,
X-ray and eclipsing binaries, mass and angular momentum transfer)
2.Pulsations: from seconds to years (with a special attention to white
dwarfs, Delta Scuti, semi-regular and Mira-type pulsators)
3.Eruptive phenomena in stars

Attached sections
4. Variable Radio Sources
5."Microlensing" variability and exoplanets
6. Stellar magnetism (in single and binary stars)
7. Stellar atmospheres
8. Astronomical Software, Instrumentation and Large Databases

9.Attached Summer School for Young Astronomers
   (Odessa, Chernomorka, August 13-17, 2000)

Scientific Organizing Comittee:

N.N.Samus (Chairman, Moscow, Russia), V.G.Karetnikov (Vice-chairman, Odessa,
Ukraine), A.Acker (Strasbourg, France), D.S.Bisikalo (Moscow, Russia),
G.S.Bisnovaty-Kogan (Moscow, Russia), R.Buchler (Los Alamos, USA),
A.M.Cherepashchuk (Moscow, Russia), D.Chochol (Tatranska Lomnica, Slovakia),
J.Cuipers (Brussels, Belgium), S.A.Fabrika (SAO, Russia), R.E.Gershberg
(CrAO, Ukraine), A.A.Konovalenko (Kharkov, Ukraine), P.G.Niarchos (Athens,
Greece), V.E.Panchuk (SAO, Russia), A.F.Pugach (Kiev, Ukraine),
I.B.Pustyl'nik (Tartu, Estonia), L.Szabados (Budapest, Hungary), J.E.Solheim
(Tromso, Norway), W.Weiss (Vienna, Austria), P.Whitelock (Cape Town, South
Africa)

Local Organizing Comittee:

V.G.Karetnikov (Chairman), I.L.Andronov (Vice-chairman), V.I.Marsakova
(Secretary), A.V.Dragunova, G.A.Garbuzov, A.V.Halevin, N.S.Komarov,
N.I.Koshkin, V.V.Kovtjukh, L.S.Kudashkina, S.M.Melikiants, T.V.Mishenina,
D.E.Mkrtichian, M.I.Ryabov, Yu.I.Zaginaylo

Contact address:

Astronomical Observatory, Odessa National University
T.G.Shevchenko Park, 65014, Odessa, Ukraine
Tel.: 038+0482+220396   Fax : 038+0482+228442
E-mail: astro@paco.odessa.ua
Web pages: http://www.astro.od.ua    (Astronomical Observatory)
                    http://oap14.webjump.com   (conference, "Odessa
Astronomical Publications", vol.14.)

Deadlines:  31.01.2001 Pre-registration
            16.04.2001 Abstracts and final registration
            12.06.2001 Confirmation of attendance
            30.09.2001 Proceedings

The invited talks are expected to be of a duration of 30-40 min, contributed
talks of 15-20 minutes, and oral presentation of posters of 5 minutes. The
overhead projector, as well as a PC with a parallel TV monitor and a
multimedia projector will be allowed.

The Abstracts are planned to be published prior to the conference with an
electronic version available via Internet at http://oap14.webjump.com
Selected referred contributions are planned for publication in the journal
"Odessa Astronomical Publications" (referred by the ADS - Astronomical Data
System and AAA - Astronomy and Astrophysics Abstract; available via
Internet), vol. 14, before the fall of 2001.
LaTeX templates for the Abstracts and the Proceedings are available at
http://oap.webjump.com/oap-samp.tex (with comments)
http://oap.webjump.com/oap-shor.tex (without comments).

Registration fees:
Early registration:
 120 USD,
Late registration:
 150 USD

The complete registration fee will cover welcome reception, coffee breaks,
excursion, preparation, publication and dissemination of the Abstracts and
the Proceedings.

Cultural Programme:

Sunday, 19.08 - Arrival, "Sea session"
Monday, 20.08 - Welcome reception
Wednesday, 21.08 - Wine party in the Tairov institute
Tuesday, 22.08 - City tour, visit to the "Opera and Balley Theater"
Thursday, 23.08 - Conference Dinner
Friday, 24.08 - Closing the conference

Hotels:

"Victoria" single 7.5 USD/night,  double 4.5,  Deluxe 105 USD
Student hostel of the Odessa National University and tourist complex
"Odessa" shared room 5USD/place, Deluxe - 24 USD
Camping

Preliminary titles of the plenary lectures:

N.N.Samus (Russia) "Cepheid pulsations from radial velocity measurements"
I.L.Andronov (Ukraine) "Magnetic cataclysmic variables: 25 years of exciting
perfomance"
G.S.Bisnovaty-Kogan (Russia) "Stellar pulsations with phase transition"
J.R.Buchler (USA) "Irregular variability of the classical variable stars"
D.Chochol (Slovakia) "Multifrequency study of symbiotic novae"
S.A.Fabrika (Russia) "Luminous Blue Variables and related stars in external
galaxies"
A.A.Konovalenko (Ukraine) "Ground-based and space decametric
radiointerferometry"
V.N.Obridko (Russia) "Highlights of study of the 23-rd cycle of solar activity"
I.B.Pustylnik (Estonia) "Physical properties and evolutionary peculiarities
of wd prodecessors"
J.E.Solheim (Norway) "The AM CVn systems - the final stage of binary white
dwarf evolution"
L.Szabados (Hungary) "Binarity of classical cepheids: it's consequences"
P.Whitelock (South Africa) "AGB variables"

			R e g i s t r a t i o n    F o r m
		International conference "VARIABLE STARS - 2001"
			August 20-24, 2001, Odessa, Ukraine

	Personal information:
	Title:___________________      First Name:___________________________
	Middle Name:__________________  Last Name:___________________________
	Organization:________________________________________________________
	Postal address:______________________________________________________
	City:___________________________  Country:___________________________
	Zip Code:_______________________    Phone:___________________________
	Fax:____________________________   E-mail:___________________________
	Number of accompanying persons:___________
	Contributions:
	Title:_______________________________________________________________
	Author(s):___________________________________________________________
	Scientific section:__________________________________________________
	Type of report:   oral/poster  Approximate report duration___________
	Abstract:____________________________________________________________
	For more contributions, please repeat the items started from
	"Contributions".
	Hotel reservation
	Hotel (tick one):
	 1) "Viktoria"
	 2) "Odessa"
	 3) University Hostel
	 4) I will make my own arrangements
	Room Class (tick one):
	   1) Single
	   2) Double
	   3) Deluxe
	Sex:
	   1) male
	   2) female
	Arrival date:___________________	Departure date:_________________
	How do you plan to come to Odessa (airplane/train/bus)
	I wish to share with another participant: (yes/no)
	(If you know anyone attending the conference, whom you would like to
	share with, please give his/her name here):__________________________

            Social events and tours
                                                 Number of persons
	Conference dinner              Yes   No
	City tour                             Yes   No
	Tairov Institute of wines    Yes   No

	Financial support
	Support requested:
     	Registration fee:    Yes No