[vsnet-alert 5376] Interesting event OGLE-2000-BUL-43

Although the "bulge" observing season  is practically over, we would
like to draw your attention to a very interesting microlensing event,
OGLE-2000-BUL-43, currently in progress. Observations collected during
the last few months at the Las Campanas Observatory indicate that that
event is very interesting threefold:

-- its time scale is very long: the Einstein radius crossing time, t_E,
is about 180 days,

-- point mass microlensing fit to the rising branch of the light curve
indicates very high magnification at maximum light (the current, Nov
14.01 UT, magnification is A=5),

-- the microlensed star is very bright. To our knowledge this is the
brightest microlensing event which has been observed so far. At maximum
the microlensed star might be well brighter than I=10 mag. Such bright
events could likely be easily resolved into separate images with
interferometric techniques in the near future, breaking the degeneracy
of microlensing parameters and allowing straight and precise mass
determination.

Unfortunately, the predicted maximum time of OGLE-2000-BUL-43 occurs
around Christmas, when the Galactic bulge is very close to the Sun on
the sky.

OGLE-2000-BUL-43

Field          BUL_SC7
StarNo         20290
RA(J2000.0)    18:08:43.04
Dec(J2000.0)   -32:24:39.5

Finding charts, light curve plots, photometric data (updated regularly)
can be found in:

http://vsnet.astrouw.edu.pl/~ogle/ogle2/ews/bul-43.html
http://vsnet.astrouw.edu.pl/ogle/ogle2/ews/2000/bul-43.tar.gz

This is probably the last alert issued by OGLE during the OGLE-II phase
of the project. We hope to resume the service in 2001 when OGLE-III
phase starts.

regards, OGLE team.