[vsnet-alert 4125] RX J0459.7+1926 : outburst confirmed - very likely an UGSU object

Dear colleagues,

Unfiltered CCD photometry at CBA Belgium Observatory, using a 0.35-m f/6.3 telescope, on February 5/6 2000, has confirmed the outburst of RX J0459.7+1926. We had a 1.7h observing run on this object, very much hampered by clouds, which finally covered the entire sky. All FITS images were PSF reduced and the resulting light curve clearly shows the presence of a 0.35 mag modulation, which seems to have all characteristics of a superhump wave. It therefore is most likely that this object is a new member of the UGSU-type of CV's. Unfortunately, our observing session was too short to be able to determine a precise superhump period value.

Further high-speed photometry is highly recommended, to settle further characteristics of this interesting variable.

Best regards,

Tonny Vanmunster
CBA Belgium Observatory