[vsnet-alert 3996] Re: RXJ0640-24 outburst update

Greetings,

Last night was cloudy but tonight - Jan 10 - I have been measuring
RXJ0640-24 since 0845UT.
It's quite faint, unfiltered about the same as the ~14.8 star 60" to the
NE. As
my telescope is set up in the bright star configuration at the moment
reductions will be difficult. My main experience of SU UMa stars is with VW
Hydri, WX Hyi, Z Cha. None of these have ever shown superhumps during the
precursor, although VW has shown orbital phase humps (about 30x normal
level) immediately prior to going into the superoutburst stage. Since
there's still a possibility that the present event could trigger an SO I'll
have another look later in the night if possible.

Postscript to this message - the star is definitely brighter than it was at
the beginning of the run ~40 minutes ago, although still faint. I'll watch
a little longer.

Regards,
Stan

7