[vsnet-alert 2447] Dwarf novae in outburst (Marsh)

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 20:53:43 +1100 (EST)
From: Visitor Account 5 <visitor5@aaocbn.aao.gov.au>
To: vsnet@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Subject: [vsnet 0] Dwarf novae in outburst
Sender: owner-vsnet@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp

Dear Variable Star Observers,

from tomorrow (15 Dec) I will be observing on the 3.9m Anglo-Australian
Telescope for 4 nights. My two primary targets are the well-known
eclipsing dwarf novae OY Car and Z Cha. I intend to take high-speed
spectra of these. However if conditions are poor (as seems likely from the
weather forecast) I may have to go to my backup program which is to
look at dwarf novae in outburst. In this case I am interested in detecting
the very short period oscillations called dwarf nova oscillations that
these stars sometimes show.

Therefore I am interested in reports of any southern hemisphere dwarf
novae in outburst; the brighter the better. From what I can gather,
HL CMa is a good target at the moment, but please let me know of any
others too,

thank you and good observing,

Tom Marsh