[vsnet-alert 1219] Re: superhumps in USNO 1425 Cyg

Tonny Vanmunster wrote:

> I got another run last night (Sep 19/20), that shows two interesting
> facts : (1) the superhumps are still there (usual period, but low
> amplitude), (2) the object was fading rapidly (approx. 0.1 mag in
> 1 hour) and a quick inspection of tonight's CCD data shows that the
> object is indeed returning to quiesence now ...

   It might be important to note that the "second superoutburst" of AL Com
entered the rapid decline stage 12 days after the beginning of the
rebrightening.  Here also, we can see the striking similarity of USNO 1425
and AL Com (and possibly WZ Sge).  Observers with large-aperture telescopes
are strongly urged to observe whether superhumps still persist or not even
after the fading (as in EG Cnc) -- unfortunately little is known of this
stage in the case of AL Com.  And, please remind that no one knows whether
the dip is always single in WZ Sge stars -- there still may be a chance of
a second rebrightening.

Best regards,