[vsnet-chat 6739] Re: (fwd) simply scatter-red

     Using a large set of V,I photometry near the south galactic pole,
Chris Watson in San Diego showed that UCAC1 had a serious scale error
at the faint end.  Fainter than about 14.5 the data are no good, but
was just fine (with consistent zero-point offset in the mean compared
to V).  It was clear that a region-by-region test/correction of zero-point
might work very well for the parts of UCAC observed from CTIO, where
the percentage of photometric weather is high.  The zones north of about
+20 (but ragged) is being done from USNO-Flagstaff, so the percentage
of data taken under non-photometric conditions will be much worse---
and thus local corrections could be much more problematic.  I don't know
what the Flagstaff observing protocol is, so it could be that only a
small portion has been done under unstable sky (usually it's either
clear or cloudy enough here that the limiting magnitude would be affected
badly enough to just stop observing).

\Brian