Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2003 5:55 AM
Subject: [vsnet-chat 6714] Query object by Cucarella

Query object by Cucarella

   We have received the following query on a bright transient stellar object(?).

   The images have been posted at:

   http://vsnet.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/vsnet/others/Cucarella/

   Could someone identify the nature?

===

Dear colleagues:

I send you two CCD images of an unexpected object observed the past July
17th while I was completing a program of search and characterization of
new variable stars. I was surprised by a new bright star that appeared
in a picture but this star wasn't visible neither in the preceding
images nor the following ones (that night I took more than 300 images
and I'm currently analysing them). This object cannot be an asteroid nor
a known variable star because there's not an object in the Guide 5
Catalogue nor the Simbad Database.

Because this phenomenon is very brief (less than one minute), I suspect
that it could be the optic counterpart of a Gamma Ray Buster, but I have
no news of recent GRB's near this position. Could you confirm or reject
this observation, please? I have been observing variable stars for more
than ten years (visual) and making CCD-photometry only for a few months,
but I'm self-confident with these observations.

The information about the pictures:

Gea1015p-0059: 60" exposure between 21:54:32 and 21:55:32 UT

Gea1015p-0060: 60" exposure between 21:55:50 and 21:56:50 UT

Position of the object (epoch J2000.0):  Alpha: 20h 41' 15.8"
Delta: +21o 26' 41.3"

Telescope: Newton, D=3D150mm f=3D750 mm

CCD: Starlight Xpresss MX5 camera with a Johnson V filter.

Observer: Francisco Campos Cucarella

City: Vallirana (Barcelona, Spain)

Yours faithfully,=20

Francisco Campos Cucarella