[vsnet-chat 6675] Re: (fwd) to V or not to V - I couldn't resist it

Re: (fwd) to V or not to V - I couldn't resist it

> For many projects, unfiltered photometry requires more care in
> analysis than equivalent standard-filter photometry.

   This is perfectly true (as I also stated before).  Well-prescribed
standard filters matched for a particular CCD is a good stanting point.
With these sets of filters and a CCD, there are good textbooks on precision
multicolor photometry.  One can learn much from these books, and will be
able to get reasonable results without much efforts.  On the other hand,
there will be no textbook or universally applicable way for unfiltered
photometry -- though they can even be more informative under several
conditions.  When compiling unfiltered (and a mixture of unfiltered and
filtered) data, one more needs detailed photometric analysis methods,
fundamentals, and astrophysics depending on the objects.  I just counted
up how the usual steps for unifying these unfiltered (and mixture) data
in VSNET campaigns, and there were at least 14 discrete steps before the
data become ready for astrophysical analysis.  Many steps require specially
tuned programs, and need experience to understand what they mean.