[vsnet-chat 6674] Re: (fwd) to V or not to V - I couldn't resistit

>    From John Greaves:
>
> He [Liller] actually uses an orange bit of glass.  Not any old orange bit of glass,
> granted, but I know of no standard stars for schott and/or wratten number
> whatever it is.  Maybe that's the answer?  Talk Arne Henden into setting up
> some primary standards for kodak kaf chips and wratten orange filters ;) ?
> (I'll do the first star: Vega is O_kaf = 0.00).

That may be the reason the AAVSO has that "CCDO" magnitude-type. :-)
I can't think of anyone else with such a system.  However, remember
from the massive Asiago photometric system database that there are
over a hundred different photometry systems.  One cannot invent a
type-code that handles them all; something that handles, say, 95percent
of all amateur submissions is a reasonable goal.  I think a combination
of the "CV,CR" unfiltered set plus "UBVRI" for the filtered folks
probably does that.  If you want to differentiate between Rj/Ij and
Rc/Ic, that also makes sense.  Differentiating between PEPV and CCDV
does not make sense for analysis, though it might make internal
sense for some organization.  No, I won't take up John's challenge
and standardize CCDO!

> There should be a stromgren ubvy beta (beta's good for luminosity class
> determination) satellite up there, with a subexperiment in Wing photometry
> for the brighter red stuff onboard too.  Maybe a blue-end subset too, as
> I don't think IUE went that faint, and was more spectroscopic, though that's
> probably  not as necessary and/or visual.  You can do quite a bit with
> Stroemgren c1, m1, beta and the various Wing indices.  Information, not
> just data.  Okay, a survey gives hints and reveals new things, and you
> follow up with better, more targeted, kit, at a later tim.  But still.

I'll agree to this!  Ground-based calibration is difficult at best.
But I'll extend it: some satellite should do spectrophotometry,
whether with grism or true spectroscopy, so that one has calibrated
spectra at reasonable resolution.  Then you can make your own
standards-list for whatever filter system you want to use.  GAIA
has promise if you are willing to wait a decade.  Putting up a
0.4m telescope, such as is proposed for Space Station, might be
sooner if they can be convinced to do spectroscopy rather than photometry.

> (Okay, there's ASAS, and also TASS in Tom D and Arne H and probably other
> incarnations, but all still a long way from finishing and the limiting
> magnitudes might only be 13 or so at the complete level).

The TASS setup at NOFS will go down to V=16 at the completeness level;
there are other surveys underway.  I wrote a paper on surveys for a
recent GAIA conference that will be ADS-referenced one of these days.

Arne

Return to Home Page

Return to the Daisaku Nogami