From: Peter F. Williams
To: vsnet chat
Cc: Janet Mattei
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2003 5:36 PM
Subject: [vsnet-chat 6621] T CMa Identification Question

Hello All,

Over the last several years I have made scattered observations of the SR
variable T CMa.  This star is plotted on VSS RASNZ charts 987/988 for VY CMa
and has a catalogue range of 9.5 to 11 and period 309 days but no spectrum
indicated.  My observations have shown little variation, ranging between
11.2 and 12.0.

Intrigued by a lack of variation in my observations, I recently checked both
the vsnet and AAVSO light curves for T CMa and was surprised to find it
being recorded by other observers mostly between magnitudes 9 and 9.5.

A check of the AAVSO chart for VY CMa shows T CMa plotted but this chart
does not plot a magnitude 9.2 field star 2 arcmin SW of the variable.  This
chart is probably not intended for observing T CMa and I suspect the
observations in both the vsnet and the AAVSO refer to the field star and not
T CMa.

If my suspicians are correct, this still leaves a question over the true
variations of T CMa.

Regards

Peter Williams
Heathcote NSW