[vsnet-chat 6569] Re: Possible Nova in LMC by Liller

> There is no doubt that this star has considerably brightened.
>
> In the middle 90s I used to visually monitor a dozen SDOR and SDOR suspects in the LMC.
>
> Perhaps this is one of the fainter ones undergoing an episode similar to the eta Car (19th century) event?
>
> What do you think?

   Less likely.  An SDOR-type outburst should occur in a normally blue
(high temperature) object, not on a normally G star.  There is clear
astrophysical explanation for such an "optical" brightening of
an SDOR-type star (and fading in rho Cas, as a recent example of
a different class of a massive mass-loss event).  In addition to
spectroscopy, accurate astrometry and secure identification of the field
is highly desirable -- a nova would explain the observation more
naturally, if the true quiescent object is much fainter.