[vsnet-chat 6527] (fwd) Re: (fwd) Re: flares in Mira stars

Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:08:01 -0700
From: Thom Gandet <tgandet@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [vsnet-chat 6525] Re: (fwd) Re: flares in Mira stars

I can definitely confirm the 1-second time scale events.  Just last
night, I saw flares of Antares that were at least half a magnitude
and lasting sometimes less than a second!  In fact, all of the
naked-eye stars in the vicinity were flaring, too!  Does this sudden
apparent instability in these stars signal that the end of the world
is approaching?  ;-)

>    Well, a number of events have durations 1 sec or even shorter...
> I remember I have seen similar events, especially when the atmosphere is
> turbulent, or the star is close to the horizon...  I wonder whether
> Puskas Ferenc has recorded similar flares from planets, asteroids,
> comets, galaxies, the Moon, the Sun, or from everything in the sky...
>
> Regards,
> Taichi Kato

Return to Home Page

Return to the Powerful Daisaku