[vsnet-chat 6525] Re: (fwd) Re: flares in Mira stars

Re: [vsnet-chat 6522] (fwd) Re: flares in Mira stars

> Please, stop this.
> It sounds like a joke although we know it isn't.... ;-((

   Well, they are observations anyway ;-), although I don't want to send
them to vsnet-newvar at least at this moment...

   Closely looking at the table, Puskas Ferenc observed Arcturus brightenings
to -4 mag in 1991, -3 mag in 1993.  I wonder why other observers didn't
notice such dramatic events.  In 1993 August, Puskas Ferenc saw almost
nightly brightening of naked-eye stars.  On 1993 August 22, he saw five
events.  I understand what great was his excitement :-)  Being amidist
of Perseid showers, the sky at this time must have been observed by
different observers, or even with meteor cameras -- they need to be checked
for independent confirmation.

   Well, a number of events have durations 1 sec or even shorter...
I remember I have seen similar events, especially when the atmosphere is
turbulent, or the star is close to the horizon...  I wonder whether
Puskas Ferenc has recorded similar flares from planets, asteroids,
comets, galaxies, the Moon, the Sun, or from everything in the sky...

Return to the Daisaku Nogami