[vsnet-chat 6517] (fwd) Re: flares in Mira stars

From tdroege2@earthlink.net  Wed Jun  4 01:19:28 2003
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:19:14 -0500
To: "James Bedient" <bedient@hawaii.rr.com>,
	"Taichi Kato" <tkato@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>,
	<vsnet-chat@ooruri.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>,
	<vsnet-flare@ooruri.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
From: Tom Droege <tdroege2@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [AAVSO-DIS] Re: flares in Mira stars
Cc: <AAVSO-DISCUSSION@informer2.cis.McMaster.CA>

TASS is presently covering all the sky that crosses the meridian once a
night in beautiful light polluted cloudy Chicago.  The data you are
referring to was the engineering run data where we were following a field
as long as the drive would allow.  This mostly to test how we could do
it.  Not very well.

The all sky once a night coverage is being done by 3 dual telescope Mark IVs.

I am building some Mark Vs.  The present plan is to build 2 of them and try
to cover the whole sky with 3-4 hour observations in B,V,R and I.  This
will take a couple of years here in Batavia.

If you start out from scratch and decide to build say 200 telescopes at
once, then you do it a lot differently than if you try to build a single
telescope.  Everything gets cheaper.  Parts are cheaper, imagers are
cheaper, the engineering costs are spread over many devices.  You can even
think in terms of one large mount holding many telescopes.  The Mark V's
hold 4.  Think in terms of a mount with 400 small telescopes!

I have built 14 telescopes solo.

With a program of the size that would build and operate a 3 meter
telescope, you could build several hundred small telescopes and cover the
sky.

I think that you would get more science out of such a program than one gets
out of the typical "small" 3 meter program.

But I just love that no one has tried to do this.  This lets me have a
field to myself (almost) as an amateur.  Every so often I even think I have
found something.  Who knows, the simultaneous exposure is pretty unique and
makes it hard to say that some flash did not happen.  We see a lot of such
events.  So far they are satellites or asteroids passing by.  But there are
some that are marginal that ...

Tom Droege

Tom Droege