[vsnet-chat 6503] (fwd) RS Oph (Greaves)

(fwd) RS Oph (Greaves)

   The following message is from John Greaves.  The image is posted at

   http://vsnet.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/vsnet/Novae/RS_Oph/jg.gif

===

Don't get excited until it passes 9.5 ;^)

Attached graph for 3 organisations with no doubt 3 differing chart
sequences, so hopefully reference stars ain't a problem.  Truncated
at mag 8 for illustrative purporses, as the two outbursts in fact
reached mag 6.  It passes mag 10 fairly often, and approaches 9.5 a
few times, without going any further.

(All observations are property of whomever owns them.  excel insisted
on converting all the approximate vsolj stuff to time format again,
no matter how hard I swore at it, so left it out as it takes a lot
more effort to import).

Cheers

John

John Greaves

PS, you know it almost looks like somebody ought to deconvolve this
stuff and look for a Mira-esque period for the red giant... ...unless
someone has already...  On an apparent pseudocycle of approx every
2000 days we're about due for a bright patch following the last
clearly shown one on the graph at around 24487000.  You can milk this
stuff too far though.

PPS Tramlines!!!!!